Dear Randolph-Sheppard Stakeholder:
As we have told you over the last few weeks, momentum is growing for commercialization of our interstate rest areas. A bill has been introduced in the House of Representatives. The President’s proposed budget for FY 2018 communicated support for the idea. The infrastructure bill that will presumably be introduced next year is expected to include the option of commercialization of the rest areas through public private partnerships. Almost 400 blind entrepreneurs could lose their businesses. The threat is real.
We need your help in preventing this from happening. We need for you to contact your members of Congress today to tell them you oppose commercialization of the interstate rest areas. We’ve made it easy for you. Go to the link below:
and send a letter to your two U.S. Senators and House member. The website will automatically find your members for you. It is as simple as 1-2-3-4.
1. Review the letter on the website that has been drafted for you to send;
2. Fill in all of the blanks with your contact information;
3. Click on “Preview Letters”;
4. Click on “Send All Letters”
It couldn’t be any easier.
But don’t stop there:
1. Get all of your friends and family members to send letters;
2. Poste the link on your Facebook Page or Twitter account and encourage followers to help out the cause;
3. Contact your member of Congress’ local office and ask for a meeting when they are home in a few weeks for the summer recess. We will be sharing talking points for such meetings or you can go to our website at www.blindmerchants.org to review them.Talking points will be up soon.
We need every U.S. Senator and member of Congress to receive as many letters as possible and we need them from as many different addresses as possible. If every blind entrepreneur sends a letter and gets 4 other people to do the same, we will generate over 10,000 letters. We can beat that.
Nicky Gacos, President
Don’t sit on the sidelines. Get involved